So, I joined the Airplane Poetry Movement, mid-April, for this year. It involves writing 100 poems in the whole year which is great. The fact that I get to write is a good part, the better deal is reading amazing poetry by some wonderful voices.

April is the month of Poetry as well, so the NaPoWriMo challenge was in full swing when I joined midway. Written below are all the poems that I wrote in response to the prompts received (about 13 I think)! Promise to myself to keep the blog updated and my disappearances minimal!

#15 (write on nothing prompt)

I enter a world 
full of challenges
to an introduction of nothing.

It pleases me
It is the way I see the world
It is who I am. 
By and by I will gain something. 
And restore everything.


#16 (Write a letter from the last thing you threw away to the last thing you purchased prompt)

Hello there, you bowl of boring fruits
Hope the day is treating you right,
And you are being savoured

And not left in the platter with fleas
Buzzing around you, while
The kids take no notice…..
As for me, I bid adieu 
Having served my purpose with gusto
And being relished by the boys and their friends.
You know their happiness from the 
Inversely proportional look in their mothers’
Eyes, which in truth only belies their true joy
In watching their messy children.
Lucky moms, it is only me messing with 
Their kids.
As everyone knows it is a horrible time for 
Children in this country and 
I wish I could do more
Because clearly no one else does.
I’ll be seeing you around soon.
With melting love, 
Your, ice-cream cake box.


#17 (the iambic meter prompt)
….and just because I didn’t want to give up so fresh into the challenge  …..

Sunlight on cragged peaks

Peppered with sliding snow
Approaching steadily in the view
In our distant vision, ah sweet revelation!
I love the sight
I am in waiting for far more 
that which has stolen my senses
is but so feeding my starved soul!

#18 (advertise something prompt)

TIME

It is your’s, but not in your favour

Not always.
It is timeless, but not for you, 
It is limited.
It is your timekeeper, in multiple roles 
for later ages,
When you wouldn’t know 
You were you.

Last evening by the window
It was treating you to memories,
It is a shape shifter, 
changing in seconds.
Don’t try to own it,
Live it.

It is time. To be put to good use.
Now.


_______________________________________

I wrote another poem on this prompt, that I never posted. Could have though. Here it is.

The Perfect Banana Bread

Pure and innocent, a newborn
Fresh and untouched, its crust
the red of the rain kissed earth, at core
Spongy and sweet smelling,
For all the lovers’ of life
And lovers’ of love!
A little of something for everyone, fond memories
Crumbling in the mouth of your toothless granny,
A promise, to the adolescent child
Lost navigating this world
Echoing, I’ll be there, be there, be there
Perfect for the high teas, or
A nightcap in your jammies, or
The morning after, when you wonder
How far will you go together
Sometimes a small piece over flirty smiles,
Or trade the whole, throwing
the capitalists’ rulebook away and far,
you scream,
I have, I share!
And as you sleep, you dream
Of those blank eyes, unveiling
For a few sweet moments,
lingering flashes of life
Brought only by

that Perfect Banana Bread.
_______________________________________________


#19 (write a poem in couplets prompt)

आज का इतना ही काम है
दो लफ्ज़ लिखने की शाम है.

ख़ुशी के चित्तेरे उड़ाऊँ मैं
या दर्द के फूलछडियां जलाऊँ मैं.

ऐसी  कौन सी बात बताऊँ, जिसकी उनको खबर नहीं
आखों की अनकही लफ़्ज़ों की उनको कोई  कदर नहीं।

इंतज़ार का तज़ुर्बा और सब्र की आदत है खूब अब
दो पल के कुर्बत के लिए सांसे लिए जा रहें है अब।

यह शाम इतनी लम्बी होगी, किसीने बताया ही नहीं
मोहब्बत दवा सी ज़रूरी होगी, किसीने समझाया ही नहीं।

#20 (include the words, seashore, hope and dumbbell prompt)

Anticlimax...

I was running, the best I could,
Sweat along the temples

Like a steady stream,
Along with my thoughts
of last nights’ dream.
where heads torn from the bodies 
screamed for my attention.
My heart beat fast but steady
While I was running to help myself 
One last time, if possible.
I chose the incline, racing against time
hoping against hope, running
from what stuck hard at me.
My gaze was straight ahead, watching
A family at the swimming pool
Happy? or pretending 
As though they were by a seashore
I ran faster but people had 
Caught up alongside.
This was my private space
Now I was invaded
Could they tell what I was running from?
I didn’t stop to explain.
They didn’t bother to ask.
My nemesis was pointing at the dumbbell.
It was time to go in for the kill
I had to meet my target still
I had burned 80kcal 
And that was enough for the day
I stepped out of the treadmill.



#21 (Dreams prompt)

Why will I dish out untruths?
It is a healthier platter, the one with 
Veggies and fruits. 

Why would you want to hear such things?
You know spring is timed for a few weeks
What makes you believe the skies won’t turn grey?
In fact on most good days
These days it is grey.
In fact the mark of maturity 
Is in accepting the color grey.

Learn your lessons fast, my child
Grow up.
I have stopped building castles in the air,
fantasizing all our efforts bearing fruits.
Why would you want me to peddle 
Half baked truths and naked lies?
That they wouldn’t always win
That the generations after them,
The next and the next and the next,
Wouldn’t carry out the same sin.

But you suck me into your innocence
And I will tell you everything is fine
For your sake, I wish things are different
Yes, it takes “a few good men” to change
And you can be one of them.
I have given up on this world for sure
My dreams now are only reserved for you.



#24 (the lies we tell ourselves prompt)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow when I wake

I will restart my yoga
The complete mind-body-soul yoga
Without any attempt at quick fixes;

Tomorrow I promise to listen
I will really really hear
I will let the words seep into me
And be ready for that osmosis
Of clear understanding
And nothing and no one will go
Unheard in a hurry;

Tomorrow when we meet
I will not be offering tissues
On the one hand and 
Pontificating judgments on the other
I will know your choices
Were your constraints
And your mistakes still are in the 
Name of the forgivable offence 
of love;

Tomorrow I will welcome
Every bit of humanity that comes my way
Acknowledge all of life
And pay my regards with gratitude 
For acknowledging me.

Tomorrow……….


#25 (include the words, garden, lonely and taradiddle prompt)

Every house an artist keeps
Give some a little green
And watch them turn it into a garden
The conservationists
Pulling out lonely scraps of cloths
Stitching them into a mélange
Of remembrances as a gift
The designers
Making parables of my lips
And taradiddle of my body,
Even as that smile wipes off
Your face, like all clouds from the sky
Revealing a deep blue eerie
Immeasurable depth
The lover

#26 (There's no place like home prompt)

(I don't think this fits the prompt, at least not in any positive way) 


An irony called home – a story

Footloose and fancy free
in default teenager mode
the girl was the last to leave home
that day.
On her way back, Mother was 
at the door,
the script of scolding ready for the take
“how dangerous”, “how careless”
“how irresponsible”
“what if something had happened”
“valuable things”, “unlocked”, “priceless things”……….
And yet, with the door left ajar, 
Nothing was attacked. 
And the home was intact.
Then one day without much prelude
The heart was.
Mother left, never to come back again.
The heart suffered a breakdown
Salt was poured over the open wound
The home disintegrated easily
The teenager, now grown, has a score
To settle someday soon.


#27 (Write a 5 line poem, where each line has 5 words prompt)

On a quiet dinner table,
the chicken curry being ignored,
people chewing on their thoughts,

wonder how long it takes,
for everything to turn stale.


#28 (the title being a colour prompt)

Yellow...

I love you my friend,

my moral compass,
that you navigate 
so well! 
Keeping me sensible. 
When I burn crimson, 
dipping me in icy blue,
peeping into that canvas 
together of orange wonderment,

while guiding me through green mazes.
Keeping me sane.
When a thousand shards fall,
when little bits of life are lost
like someone carelessly threw those bits of
important papers away, 
in a bid to clean up,
you point to an unseen road, 
and walk me through 
armed with colours I didn’t know the names of. 
Keeping me loved.


#29 (ABBA rhyme scheme prompt) - and just to meet the deadline, i dished out this trash. The other poems were unbelievable!

Meeting DEADlines

The languor of the afternoon, cruised into the evening,

it took some time, the last drop of the coffee trickled in
I could feel in my blood, the zig zag of the caffeine 
coursing in my veins, in the buzz of my nightly routine.

Now sleep eluded completely, a big luxury stolen,
Took in the recommended deep breaths, counted sheep
Around 1am as I took my first step on planet sleep
A tiny creak, a tinkle on the glass, I turned, I stared, frozen!

(okay, clearly no poetry this, but the lengths I go to meet deadlines 😁!!)


#30 (Sunset prompt)

The Last Moments

Is it the colors I saw, 

that cast their spell,
leaving me in a stupor 
or just the sun going down
on a splendid day, that
stopped me in my tracks.
Twilight approaches before you know it,
and a sheath of darkness falls all around, after 
a few flickering fleeting moments.
And suddenly a new thought dawns
in the light of the filial smiles of the stars,
an eternal clarion call, 
the end is, sufferance only a few seconds long,
but the life we lead is what’s worth the song.

How empowering is a sunset!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मेरे घर का पौधा मुझसे कहता.......