Rejection Letter

Received a (sweet) rejection letter from APM, towards the anthology proposed to be published. Here it is.

Dear Arpita,

We are writing to you with bad news :( Unfortunately, your poems have not been selected to feature in the Ultimate APM Anthology.

In total, we received 2,000+ poems from 550+ poets, and had to select only the top 50 poems from among them.

But we want you to know that your poem almost, almost made it.

We absolutely loved your poem, "My Plant", and it made the final shortlist for the anthology. 

Unfortunately, it just missed out :( Since your poem was so well-written, it's even harder to send you this email.


Which is why we wanted to say this to you:

We write poetry as well, and we've been rejected by magazines and anthologies numerous times (more than we'd like to admit!) And every time we get another rejection, it feels like the world is telling us that our poetry is not good enough, but guess what? We still write.

Because we get reminded in many different ways that we don't write well enough, that we're not good enough, but we're still here, and we're still writing, and that's what we want most for you. That you keep creating art. That you keep creating poetry that reflects who you really are, and you keep writing poetry that you want to read.

So please don't treat this email as a setback, and don't let it stop you from believing in yourself. Because, believe us, we believe in you, and we know (from our own experience, more than anything else) that as long as you keep writing, and keep pushing yourself to create poetry that you're proud of, your readers will find you.

Unfortunately, you haven't made it to this anthology, but there'll be many more opportunities in the future, and we hope that you take them up!

Lastly, we just wanted to say – thank you for sharing your poetry with us. It was a delight to get to read so many interesting and diverse poems, and we cannot thank you enough for being a part of that!

Please take care, please continue to explore your creativity, and please, please keep writing! As long as you keep going, you have the potential to achieve great things <3 

Lots of love,
Shantanu and Nandini
Co-founders, Airplane Poetry Movement
_________________________________________________________________________

Well, better luck to me next time. The rejection hasn't hurt me too much. But somewhere I was wishing for an acceptance, just so I could count myself among the hallowed group of poets and finally feel free calling myself one too. I know luck accompanies diligence, focus and labour; I wish more of that to me. While I really sent them the poems at the last moment, having decided earlier not be send because the standard of poetry is just so high, I still did. It knew I wouldn't make it but thought maybe I could by some plot of the stars. Regardless, life is beautiful and I am blessed. Thank you God. 

Here are the poems I had submitted:


My Plant

My plant is about to die
Its stem, lone and brown, sighs
Quivers when I cross by.
I haven’t watered it in days
Its leaves are crinkling dry
Yellowed, in its last grace.

I torture it a little, tear at the rotten bits
Dig the soil and shower a sprinkle,
Think to myself, now it’s fixed.
A moment later, a pool of water or
Superfluous wails perhaps, seep through
And collect lining the pot.

I say enough and pluck it out, its remains
The last clumps of life chase my path as
I throw it down the shaft as organic waste.
Once again I turn the mud and pat it out
These murdering hands at work, now make
A new grave for a new plant to take its place.
______________________________________________

Wishes

Can I go for a walk?
On my own? Wherever I wish to turn
I turn. However I wish to dress, I dress.
However I wish to sit, I sit and drink in
quick swigs of air and move like a tree.
Stare like a foolish moon
pause a bit, stretch and yawn, bend over to
examine fallen leaves on the ground.
You promise you wouldn’t be swayed?
I am splendorous nature, just taking a walk.
And you would know how to leave me alone.
Free.                        
My eyes have the dust of stars
And eons of sunsets sit on my cheeks
ripples from my mouth, shakes your boat
I am woman, you see.

Can I be myself? I am spring.
Even unwatered burst forth
with my flowers
I lie along with the grass
and you promise not step on me, trouble me,
your gaze upon my breasts, my fullness
or halt my profundity.
I tend to dream and vanish into the infinity
with the pink and purple of a dying day
and somehow know I am still loved.
And I would let my hair fly with the breeze
and not feel the need for a shroud
and if it rains, then so be it,
barefoot, I would walk home
soaking wet and
beneath a cloud.
__________________________________________________

Various Ways of Love

Love is jumping
without a thought
into the fire and back
charred, hugging
someone’s dreams with
a heart fuller than before.

Love is when
he made you famous.
He wrote three lines for you
two on your love
and one on how he can’t
get enough.

Love is a visitation
on a dead night, awakened
by a shattering of glass
and just so you can face
the dread of tomorrow
the warmth drawing you
lovingly back to bed.

Love is popularly called
a broken marriage
chipped hearts and
piles of folded truths
yet the guts to see it through.

Love is soft hands around
a weary neck, eyes gazing
at a father and thinking of him
an entire world.

Love is
my legs under your thigh,
your hand over my stomach,
my hand holding my book,
your hand alternating between
stroking my hair and staying still.
  
Love is
in all such little nooks
and hope filled crannies
where no actual words are used
no confessions told and
no actual love is ever made.
___________________________________________________________

Something in me

Something in me doesn’t want to sit
wants to keep going
and break into a run.
Some wheels under my feet
need little cranking
they trudge the weary weight of my bones
with love and no complaints.
I don’t see any visible road
only a desire that doesn’t exhaust
that compels the wagon to move
as far as possible, in all its tired turmoil
through pitted pasts and fallen attempts
marking only the journey
never revealing any destination.
Sometimes urges me to not worry
whether the dark unlit way ahead
the farthest my vision can see
would swallow or turn cold
but promises a strange succor
holding out something that I try and reach.
A something that seems quite like
that something in me. 
_______________________________________________________

Love??

Awash in your love
from head to toe,
this is how I stay now,
and never wish to let go.
But in a broken world,
we live out our leases
while hearts around us
are being shattered to pieces.
Then where does it all go,
those promises forever,
has anyone ever seen,
together, eternity ever?
Ask the many of love,
and at best they fumble,
there is no memory of it
without a fall or stumble.
So there it is my love,
we’ll take it as it comes,
if tomorrow we promise to love
the future is but only all
‘morrows’ sum. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

मेरे घर का पौधा मुझसे कहता.......